Haiti - FLASH : Haiti in Red Vigilance
The SPGRD, together with the National Meteorological Centre, launched on Monday, August 1, the alert 1 the level of red vigilance against threats of heavy rain and strong winds with risks of landslides, mudslides and flooding throughout the country especially in the South peninsula.
Considering this situation, the Ministry calls on the authorities of local authorities and civil protection structures to pass the safety instructions of the national system of risk management and disaster, in particular to high-risk communities, the most remote and inaccessible of country :
- Prepare to evacuate the areas subject to flooding and landslides (seaside, gullies, rivers, mountain slopes, etc...)
- Secure all that can be carried by the wind and which is outside the house, trash, tools, posters, lamps, decorative bulbs;
- Do not go to sea or, if applicable, return to land.
- Put boats far from shore and moor them.
- Down any heavy object placed antennas, signs...
- Do not cross rivers in spate under any circumstances.
The MICT informs the public that the Delegates, Vice Delegates are instructed to mobilize the decentralized administration service of the State in support of local authorities, civil protection structures and communities. Territorial authorities must ensure strict compliance of measures prohibiting of cabotage operations throughout the south coast of Haiti. Local flights from and to all airports in the country including those of Jacmel, Les Cayes, Port-au-Prince and Jérémie are banned on Monday August 1, 2016.