Haiti - FLASH : Roadmap of the Minister of Health
Roadmap of the Minister of Public Health :
"- To update and implement the national health policy and the master plan for health (2012-2022);
- To strengthen the institutional capacities of the central, deconcentrated, departmental and local structures of the Ministry of Public Health and Population;
- Strengthen the legal and regulatory environment in the health sector;
- Improve the operational capacities of the intermediate and peripheral health structures;
- To strengthen the intersectoral coordination of the national health policy;
- To enhance the management function of health structures and programs.
- To develop and make vote by Parliament the law on the ethical code for epidemiological research, biomedical research, health system research, traditional medicine research, and research in human and social sciences.
- Ensure the dynamization of the orders of health professions in accordance with the liberal exercise of the medical and paramedical professions.
You are asked to take action and take measures that should lead to:
- The organization of the Estates General of Health to identify the strategies that will enable our country to have a competitive health system;
- Improving access to health care with the construction or rehabilitation of health facilities;
- The strengthening of the national ambulance center;
- Strengthening the management of emergencies at departmental hospitals;
- The transformation of certain hospitals into university hospitals and particularly outside of Port-au-Prince;
- Strengthening priority health programs targeting the most vulnerable groups, while improving the quality of care for common pathologies and diseases;
- Accelerating the fight for the elimination of cholera;
- The creation of an accreditation and regulatory agency for Haiti's hospitals;
- To consolidate the achievements of the programs for the control and prevention of communicable diseases and the intensification of the fight against emerging and endemic diseases;
- Strengthening prevention, hygiene and sanitation promotion;
- Strengthening of dental medicine;
- Supervision of practitioners of traditional medicine and implementation of training programs on medicinal plants;
- The establishment of a universal health insurance program;
- The establishment of the national Pharmacy and Medicines Policy;
- The reform of hospital management;
- The implementation of the community health program;
- Strengthening priority programs, such as maternal and child health, to reduce maternal and infant mortality;
- The revision of the salary scale for hospital staff.
It is important to better organize psychiatric assistance at the national level and to implement mental health promotion programs and action plans. It is necessary :
- To ensure the integration process of mental health activities in the ten geographical departments;
- Define strategies to combat psychoactive substance abuse and other social ills;
- Strengthen and supervise public and private psychiatric structures and institutions;
- To coordinate mental health programs in collaboration with private centers and traditional medicine actors;
- To ensure the monitoring and evaluation of mental medicine.
- Conduct an effective population policy to promote human development.
Efforts must be made to strike a balance between human resources, economic resources and the environment in order to improve the quality of life for all. In this sense, a birth control program should be implemented to reduce demographic pressure and improve the living conditions of citizens. It is necessary :
1) To implement a population policy based on an integrated and holistic approach that goes beyond the health sector and involves all ministerial departments and local authorities working for human development;
2)- Involve civil society and the voluntary sector in the implementation of population policy;
3) Promote healthy reproductive behavior;
4) Strengthen health education and reproductive health.
I ask you to start preparing the 2017-2018 Budget, which will have to be approved by the Council of Ministers, after arbitration by the Ministry of the Economy and Finance, and filed within the required legislative deadlines.
You will also have the task of increasing transparency, the fight against corruption and the good management of public property. It will be up to you to organize, direct and animate the services, teams and agents of the State placed under your responsibility.
Jack Guy Lafontant, Prime Minister."
See also :