Haiti - Humanitarian : Opening of the Canadian Fund for Local Initiatives, call for projects
The Canada Fund for Local Initiatives (CFLI) contributes to Canada’s thematic priorities for foreign policy and adds to the programs that are already in place in Haiti. The CFLI is a fund managed annually by the Canadian Embassy in Haiti to support modest projects by local organizations on topics that support Canadian priorities in Haiti.
The CFLI in Haiti will focus on the following thematic areas for its 2017-2018 programming:
- Empowering women and girls and promoting gender equality
- Promoting human development, specifically in the areas of health, nutrition, and education
- Championing human rights, inclusive and accountable governance, democracy, peaceful pluralism, and respect for diversity
- Supporting inclusive and green economic growth
- Promoting action on the environment, including water and climate change
- Promoting peace and security
Please note that project proposals that do not meet the selection criteria or do not contribute to the CFLI objectives will not be considered for support.
Projects eligible for the Canada Fund for Local Initiatives are those submitted by:
- Non-governmental, community and not-for-profit organizations
- Academic institutions and think-tanks
- International, intergovernmental, multilateral and regional institutions, organizations and agencies working on local development activities
- Municipal, regional or national government institutions or agencies working on local projects
- Canadian non-governmental and not-for-profit organizations that are working on development activities in cooperation with local partners
Eligible organizations must be properly constituted, have legal status granted by the competent authority and possess a bank account opened in the name of the institution. Those that do not meet these requirements may submit their project through an organization sponsoring the project to fulfil the role of intermediary and to take responsibility for the implementation of the initiative.
The following criteria will be used in selecting proposals :
Project proposals will be examined by the Embassy CFLI Committee. The committee will examine the following aspects when making the decision which projects to recommend for financing:
- The project’s objectives and outcomes must clearly align with at least one of the Canada Fund’s thematic areas.
- The sustainability of the development activity proposed by the project. The products, services, benefits and impacts generated by the project should last beyond the period being financed by the CFLI.
- The project has more than one source of financing, whether it be in cash, in kind or through volunteer or paid work by the organization itself or a partner.
- Precision and clarity in the identification and description of the problem the project is trying to solve.
- The project proposal has a realistic and coherent budget, clearly demonstrating that the funds being requested will be used efficiently.
- The project integrates the principles of good governance, equality between men and women and respect for the environment.
Value and duration of contribution agreements :
- The amount of funding for each project will vary between CAD $15,000 to CAD $40,000. All contribution agreements will be signed in Canadian dollars only. Organizations must consider inflation costs and possible fluctuations in currency that could occur during the life of the project.
- For the moment, only projects that can provide assurance they will be completed before February 28, 2018, and that their end-of-project reports will be completed by March 16, 2018, will be accepted.
- Only project proposals received no later than 11:59pm (local time), on Sunday July 16th, 2017 will be consider
The projects submitted must comply with the Canada Fund for Local Initiatives (CFLI) procedures in effect. Please request the project submission form at CanadaFundHaiti-FondsCanadienHaiti@international.gc.ca
Completed project proposals must be submitted electronically no later than 11:59pm (local time), on Sunday July 16th, 2017 at the following address: CanadaFundHaiti-FondsCanadienHaiti@international.gc.ca
Late applications will not be considered unless prior arrangements have been made directly with the Embassy’s CFLI Manager. Printed proposals delivered to the Embassy of Canada will not be considered.
Proposals that do not follow the procedures spelled out in this note will not be reviewed.