Haiti - Weather : Red alert lifted, highlights by department
The National Meteorological Center (CNM) informs that the level of red alert is lifted in Haiti but is replaced by a flood advisory especially for the regions of south of the country. Permanent Secretariat of Risk Management (SPGRD) and the Directorate of Civil Protection (DPC) are asking residents of areas at risk to be very vigilant.
CNM, together with the SPGRD, the DPC and the Maritime and Navigation Service of Haiti (SEMANAH) lifts the ban on cabotage operations throughout the south coast of Haiti and the Gulf of the GonĂ˘ve.
CNM, together with the SPGRD, the CPD, the National Office of Civil Aviation (OFNAC) and the National Airports Authority (AAN), are asking the resumption of all local flights in and out of the airports across the country from this Friday morning, because of the degeneration of Emily.
- The threat was real. We recorded, particularly in the Southeast, floods, strong winds brought down trees in some areas, rain ;
- The population has largely followed the instructions of alert. Some have evacuated voluntarily, others were helped by the emergency services: the Haitian Police, the Red Cross, the Minustah, the volunteers of civil protection ;
- For now, we have been informed of one case of death in Fond Fred, commune of Les Cayes. This is a body found in the Ravine du Sud. The police and the justice of the peace are now investigating the causes of death. A person is also injured in Cayes-Jacmel (falling tree);
- The communes of l'EstĂ¨re (alluvium have prevented the flow of water), Desdunes and Grande Saline have been partially flooded. Flooding had been recorded independently of Emily, from Saturday, July 31;
- 402 families are affected in l'EstĂ¨re. 13 families are under tents. EstĂ¨re and Marchand Dessalines : 2nd section Descorces (Marchand Dessalines) and 1st section (lâ€™EstĂ¨re : Mapou, Latchi, Joanis, Belle Fraicheur, CitĂ© LumiĂ¨re, top and bottom Lacou)have been invaded by the waters of the river l'EstĂ¨re and of the ravine Ă Couleuvre in flood. Vegetable crops flooded and some people are hosted by relatives. In total 1.630 people affected at the level of l'EstĂ¨re
- Flooding in Savanette: 44 homes flooded gardens are devastated.
- Gardens are devastated and Mirebalais and to Boucan CarrĂ©
- The roadf Mirebalais-Savanette s reopened to traffic after a combined intervention of the TPTC/CNE/MINUSTAH;
Increase of the water level to the Grande RiviĂ¨re de Nippes
Banana plantations are devastated in the commune of Carice.
- Evacuation of 48 families to Tabarre (46 families to Terre Roche and 12 people accommodated in the dormitory of the Town Hall)
- Spontaneous evacuations have been observed in of several communes, including to Thomazeau.
- Flooding in Ti Sous (Croix-des-Bouquets)
- Flooding in the downtown of Saint-Louis du Sud. 1 house destroyed to the ile-Ă -VĂ˘che (part east of the city);
- Plantations are partially devastated to Solon, 2nd Communale Section of Aquin ;
- Flooding to Cayes Jacmel, zone DĂ©cade;
- CTrees falling to Jacmel and to Cayes-Jacmel : one person injured ;
- The river Sestel is in flood. The rivers Marigot, Bioche and Cayes-Jacmel are also ;
See also :
HL/ HaitiLibre /CNM