Haiti - Music : Haiti chosen to represent the Caribbean in the «Network music festivals ACP»
The Director of "Zone Franche", the French association that is leading the project declared : "We are particularly happy to undertake the project activities planned in the Caribbean in Haiti, a country whose musical richness remains to be discovered for many music professionals abroad [...] We fervently hope that these days will contribute to strengthening and revitalizing the local music industry. We thank our partners in Haiti. Their enthusiasm and involvement suggest a rich trading environment."
For her part, Milena Sandler of the Foundation Haiti Jazz notes : "The Jazz Haiti Foundation is pleased to host and coordinate the implementation of this project in Haiti that is fully consistent with our objectives of structuring of the sector and promote the music of Haiti."
A dozen foreign professionals, from the Caribbean (Barbados, Belize, Dominican Republic, St. Lucia), Europe (Germany, France, Great Britain) and Africa (Cape Verde), will stay in Haiti to learn more about the Haitian music industry, and to share with the twenty five local participants who were selected by the project partners.
Then they will intervene during the days of meeting hosted by the French Institute in Haiti (these days will take place behind closed doors, with participants previously selected). Discussions will focus on copyright, the market for world music, digital delivery of works or even professional networks existing in the Caribbean.
Foreign professionals expected are :
- Laurence Aloir, world music journalist, RFI (France)
- Marie-Agnès Beau, trainer in developing international music and digital (France / United Kingdom)
- Christoph Borkowsky, president of Piranha / WOMEX World Music Expo (Germany)
- Philippe Conrath, director of festival Africolor (France)
- José Da Silva, Manager, director of label Lusafrica (France / Cap Vert)
- Ivan Duran, Producer, label Stonetree (Belize)
- Lynden Leonce, festival Jazz in the South (Sainte Lucie)
- Roldan Marmol, musician, adviser to the Red Dominicana de Culturas Locales (République Dominicaine)
- Christine Semba, Director of the association Zone France (France)
- Erica Smith, Director of the Society of Rights of Composers, Authors and Publishers - COSCAP (Barbade)
They will be joined by members of the collective Caribbean Network for Kreyol Creative Industries which unites the territories having the Creole language in common (Martinique, Guyana, Haiti, Guadeloupe, St. Lucia, France and most recently hexagonal Dominica).
The project "Network music festivals ACP" is carried by the Jazz Foundation Haiti, in collaboration with Caracol and the French Institute in Haiti and supported by the support program to cultural industries ACP, program of Group of ACP States funded by the European Union.