Haiti - Social : Impressive record of BSEIPH
The Office of the Secretary of State for Integration of Persons with Disabilities (BSEIPH) presented Monday, May 14, in its premises of the rue Panaméricaine, the results of its first 6 months of operation [October 2011 - April 2012] as well as its vision and objectives for 2012. In six months, with a relatively modest budget, the actions of BSEIPH are already impressive, and clearly demonstrates that the disability is not a barrier to success. Congratulations to Gérald Oriol Jr, Secretary of State for the Integration of Disabled People and to all his wonderful team.
Activities October 2011 - April 2012
A Haitian inclusive society that takes into account the needs and aspirations of all his son and all his daughters.
- Significantly change the living conditions of disabled people and work on their integration in all spheres of social life.
- The BSEIPH will ensure that all sectors of national life (public and private) are taking their responsibilities in this integrative process.
Objectives for 2012
- Strengthen institutional capacity of BSEIPH and associations working in the disability field.
- Allow a greater number of people with disabilities to have access to education and vocational training both in mainstream than specialized environment.
- Increase access of disabled people to employment and entrepreneurship.
- Promote the development of physical infrastructure accessible to the disabled.
- Work towards the adoption and extension of Haitian law on the integration of disabled persons and other legal tools.
- Restructuring and Reorganization of BSEIPH
-The various units and departments have been reorganized
-New executives have been recruited
- Strengthening of associations and institutions working in the field of disability
-64 Disability organizations received financial support for institutional strengthening from 25.000 to 500.000 gourdes gourds
-Training was organized on the identification of projects of sustainable impact and report writing for executives from associations of program beneficiaries
Education and Vocational Training
- 140 schoolchildren and students with disabilities have received a school subsidy
- A partnership with INSHEA was established to develop a module in special education
- An amputee football tournament, launched by AHFA and CBM was supported to raise awareness the population on the rights and abilities of disabled persons
Employment and Entrepreneurship
- 4 Professionals with disabilities were hired by private companies or public
- 120 Persons with disabilities received an income generating activity as part of a project with the Foundation Voilà and J'Aime Haïti
- 158 Persons with disabilities in difficult situations have received financial assistance
- A MoU was signed with JCI Haiti and another with the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Haiti to facilitate the integration of disabled persons in the labor market
- Promotional messages on the principles of universal accessibility have been disseminated via a commercial audio and video through a number of media
- The price of accessibility has been launched to honor personalities and institutions supporting the disabled access to their services or buildings
- The Special School "Foyer d’Amour" has benefited from the development project ramps for disabled
- Training on the principles of universal accessibility has been organized in partnership with CBM for the benefit of twenty municipal engineers
- A platform was created in partnership with CBM and HI in order to exchange and share technical resources and best practices for universal accessibility in Haiti
Legal framework and Awareness
- An awareness campaign was launched around the vote of the Act on the Integration of Disabled Persons to the Senate of the Republic, which facilitated the vote of March 13, 2012
- Three (3) talks were organized around disability issues respectively in collaboration with a youth organization of the Croix des Bouquets, the Christian Service of Haiti and the University of Notre Dame of Haiti
- A weekly column about the sector's activities was launched on TNH
Activities of End of Year 2011 and other
- 400 handicapped children attended the Christmas party at the National Palace
- 600 disabled persons received kits and envelopes at Central Office together with the Office of the First Lady
- 700 people with disabilities through the Regional Offices of BSEIPH received kits
- 10 solar streetlights were installed in the Village of Hope located at Cabaret to benefit families of deaf
- 17 disabled people participated in the national carnival parade in the city of Les Cayes
- A program of health services at preferential costs has been implemented for people with disabilities through a Memorandum of Understanding signed with the Organization DASH (a first group of 500 people have access to the program)
- 3 disability groups and one disabled artist presented their works at the Fair agricultural, industrial and artisanal 1 May
- Of structural constraints and administrative at the level of the state have slowed or even prevented a strict observance of the action plan established for the period
- Strengthening of the awareness campaign
- Implementation of a Haitian-Brazilian Institute of Rehabilitation
- Capacity Building at the Institutional and Political level to promote and defend the rights of disabled
- Establishment of a Program to Strengthen the Legal Framework for People with Disabilities in Haiti
- Implementation of structures of the National Solidarity Fund for Integration and Autonomy of Persons with Disabilities
- Implementation of a project to support education and development of disabled sports
- Implementation of a project of employment and entrepreneurship for persons with disabilities
Partial balance of expenditure
October 2011 - April 2012
Upon arrival in October 2011, the current account of the BSEIPH accused an amount of 966,280.16 gourdes whose 811,017.07 for investment and 155,263.09 for the operation
- Operating Expenses 129,902.49 gourdes
The budget has not yet voted, the MAST has agreed to cover certain operating costs such as:
- Boni contractual staff 1,276,150.00 gourdes
- Boni Great Commis of the State 97,200.00 gourdes
- Remunerations Great Commis of the State 583,200.00 gourdes
- Remunerations contractual staff 6,168,236.67 gourdes
- Fixed expenses Great Commis 32,400.00 gourdes
- Fuel 145,000.00 gourdes
- Recharge cards 94,380.00 gourdes
GRAND TOTAL OPERATING EXPENSES 8,526,469.16 gourdes
Fund expenditure Urgent Intervention
- Bonuses paid to employees 410,000.00 gourdes
- Benefits to students 1,123,675.00 gourdes
- Various benefits and exceptional * 6,993,103.71 gourdes
- Project funding of external lighting at Village of Hope for the families of deaf 590,400.00 gourdes
- Organization of a seminar for associations of PHs 125,515.92 gourdes
- Travel to regional offices to meet the disabled 102,000.00 gourdes
- Rental various, and other charges in connection with meetings with disabled people 57,340.00 gourdes
- Purchase of computer equipment for the strengthening of the office 110,805.00 gourdes
- Other expenses ** 487,160,37 gourdes
Grand Total Fund Urgent Intervention : 10,000,000.00 gourdes
* Grants to associations, financial assistance to disabled persons in difficulty; financial assistance to parents of disabled children
** Perfecting of vehicles of office, purchase of fuel and lubricant supplies and small office equipment, telecommunications costs, and others.