Haiti - Agriculture : 400M Gdes mobilized for the Spring Agricultural Campaign
Friday at the Primature, the Agronomist Fresner Dorcin, Minister of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Rural Development (MARNDR) said in a press conference that "the Spring Agricultural Campaign generates 60% of all domestic production [...]" and announced that" by next week, the seeds will be available on the market, the result of mobilization of 70 million gourdes by the Government," noting that the slight shortage observed in agricultural commodities in areas of production is due to the period when farmers are planting," stating that "400 million gourdes have been mobilized for this Spring Agricultural Campaign 2015 [...]"
Furthermore he recalled that the President Martelly had signed an export agreement protocol with the Bahamas and announced that an expert mission of the Ministry will travel Monday, March 2, in the northwest, to identify areas potential for agricultural intensification.
Recall that in the framework of Triennial Programme for Agricultural Renewal (PTRA), the Ministry of Agriculture has designed for this Spring Agricultural Campaign 2015 a program of actions including :
- Outreach activities (audio-visual, meetings organized by field agronomists) ;
- Plowing services/agricultural mechanization;
- Management of water resources (small pumps, moderate investments in small irrigation systems) ;
- Provision of fertilizers at subsidized prices (target of complete fertilizer bag of 50 kg for 800 gourdes) ;
- Purchase and distribution of seeds at different Agricultural Departmental Directorates (DDA) ;
- Support in terms of pesticides and spray pumps ;
- Training for the benefit of farmers, agricultural outreach and dissemination of technical packages ;
- Initiation of storage programs, in good conditions, of surplus crops ;
- Monitoring and evaluation of the campaign.
The campaign's specific objectives are :
- Ensure a production of 60,000 metric tons (MT) of maize grain in the plains, the yield from January to April from 1-4 mt /ha ; of 62.500 mt of sorghumat a rate of 2.5 mt/ha ; additional 60,000 mt of rice at 4 mt/ha and of 10,000 mt of beans, at 1 mt/ha, by sowing grain with an area of 55,000 hectares and 10,000 hectares in legume;
- Guarantee an additional production of 1,900 mt of yams at a rate of 19mt/ha and 22,500 mt of sweet potatoes at 15 mt/ha, through the support to the planting of 1,600 hectares of tubers and roots ;
- Seed with fry of water bodies to improve the availability of animal protein ;
- Control the water resources in the irrigated areas, while considering measures to deal with potential problems of water availability during critical times ;
- Conduct outreach activities, training sessions and of provision of information on the importance and respect of the recommended technical packages and on the policy of the Ministry of Agriculture on inputs and soil preparation.
See also :