Haiti - Tourism : Strategic Action Plan for South and Southeast
Monday, Stéphanie Balmir Villedrouin, the Minister of Tourism, attended the presentation of action plans for the year 2013-2014, of Departmental Directorates of Tourism North, South, Southeast and Grand Anse. Following this presentation, the ongoing projects and others that will be initiated during the 2013-2014 fiscal year were revealed, in these different departments. In addition, the Minister stressed the need for a long-term action plan that would extend over the next 3 years.
The Departmental Directorate of Tourism South, presented an action plan not only for the departmental office, which in previous years was in the center of the city, but also for various Tourist sites of the department, whose 6 main areas have been identified as intervention point.
- rganizational Capacity Building of the Regional Directorate of Tourism South ;
- A development program of tourism and natural sites, some of which are vin very advanced stage and other being implemented ;
- Of training programs and outreach to raise awareness about the importance of tourism ;
- A program of regulation and monitoring to facilitate the implementation and strict compliance with the standards and regulations ;
- A renovation program in order to sell a new image of the Southern Region ;
- A series of promotional activities to promote tourism products.
For its part the Departmental Directorate of Tourism South East, has identified several areas in its action plan including :
- Strengthen the office of the Southeast in terms of human and material resources ;
- Enrich the infrastructures of reception (hotel school) and facilitate access to the destination (tourist and road signs that meet the needs of residents and visitors) ;
- Develop tourism circuits of Jacmel (Historic Center) in Marigot with a positioning towards eco-tourism (beaches, waterfalls, parks and ponds) to enhance the value of the offer: nature, culture, traditions.
- Organize and support cultural events ;
- Renew the brand image of the destination (Museum of Carnival of Jacmel) and promotional activities abroad ;
- Consider a technical landfill for solid waste ;
- Educate tourists and local tourism stakeholders on the potential of the destination ;
- Promote greater cohesion of actions of different ministries and institutions in a spirit of partnership.