Haiti - Epidemic : International, aid, statements, the situation point
Monday, October 25 :
- The Office of U.S. Foreign Disaster Assistance of USAID (OFDA), will provide 1,000 beds quickly adapted to the special cases of cholera and other items to distribute to cope with the epidemic. OFDA has also committed an initial contribution of 100,000 dollars to help the Ministry of Health to respond to this emergency.
- Trinidad Jimenez, the Spanish Minister of Foreign Affairs (EU) on Monday urged the European Union plan to help Haiti to avoid "a new humanitarian catastrophe" We want the EU to get involved there is not an even greater humanitarian disaster in Haiti "The Foreign Minister said that Spain sent on Monday to Haiti a plane with humanitarian aid.
Saturday, October 23 :
- Bautista Rojas Gomez, Dominican Minister of Public Health has banned the sale of cooked food in Haiti and the sale of water and fruit juice prepared at home in all border markets, as a preventive measure against cholera epidemic
- Catherine Bragg, Assistant Secretary General of the UN Humanitarian Affairs, said at the headquarters of the international organization in New York that officials do not know when the crisis is over. The speed of propagation of the disease concern the organization.
- The presence of many humanitarian agencies, due to the earthquake, is a blessing for the country, according to Dr. Andrus of PAHO. "We have fortunately a partnership that has never been stronger." Aid is not yet reached in any areas affected by cholera, according to doctors interviewed. Hospitals lack medicines and are overwhelmed.
- « We have a problem of vehicles for transportation of patients and staff for their care », says the head of the medical unit of the Artibonite, Dr. Raoul Voncent. The Ministry of Health of Haiti has sent three additional ambulances in the region yesterday. Humanitarian agencies in the country delivery yesterday of the material toward the center of Haiti.
- Dr. Julio Amado Castanos Guzman, chairman of the Hospital General Plaza de la Salud (Dominican Republic) has warned that the cholera epidemic that broke out in Haiti could be the beginning of a cascade of epidemics in this population, which is also a threat to the Dominican Republic. It recommends that health authorities and agencies to control traffic Dominican border.
- Bautista Rojas Gomez, Minister of Public Health has recommended that Haitians and Dominicans living in the provinces of Monte Cristi, Dajabón, Independencia, Pedernales and Elías Piña adopting a number of hygienic measures to prevent the spread of disease. Among the measures recommended by health authorities highlights, handling and adequate protection of food, washing hands, water purification, cleaning and disinfecting homes. He urged locals to accept the recommendations of health authorities and to immediately report symptoms of the disease to health centers in those communities.
- President Leonel Fernandez said that health authorities have taken appropriate measures to prevent the spread of cholera in Haiti on the Dominican Republic.
- The Social Christian Reformist Party (PRSC) (Dominican Republic), recommended to establish controls on the various points of entry of Haitians at the border, airports and ports and if necessary to temporarily close the border.
- Cardinal Nicolás de Jesús López Rodríguez called the Dominican authorities to take preventive measures to avoid spread of cholera in the Dominican Republic.
The Embassy of France recommends to the French nationals
- to avoid travel in affected areas (ie the Artibonite valley, Mirebalais to Grande Saline) and around (especially downstream of the Artibonite and its tributaries, ie Saint-Marc Montrouis, côte des Arcadins ...)
to strictly observe simple hygiene rules:
- consume only water in sealed bottles or clean water and treated
- to wash their hands at least 4 times a day with soap (especially after using the toilet) and on transition in the endemic area: before eating, drinking or smoking after contact with a patient or objects contaminated by diarrhea or vomiting. Avoid collective towels.
systematically peel fruits and vegetables with a clean knife before cooking.
- d'éviter dans tous les cas les crudités (sauf si elles ont été lavées à l’eau javellisée), les fruits de mer, les glaçons, les crèmes glacées et les sorbets.
- avoided in all cases raw vegetables (unless they have been washed with bleach), seafood, ice, ice creams and sorbets.
- to bring special attention to children.
Lire aussi :