Haiti - Weather : Beginning of the hurricane season, NOAA forecasts - HaitiLibre.com : Haiti news 7/7





iciHaiti - PAP : Pre-carnival activities, 6 wounded and 1 death (final assessment)

iciHaiti - Social : More and more difficult to live illegally in the Dominican Republic

iciHaiti - Cap-Haitien : The owner of «Centrale Bank Borlette» shot dead

iciHaiti - Security : Towards the return of fire hydrants in the metropolitan area

iciHaiti - TNH : Walking Bands Competition


more news


Haiti - News : Zapping...

Haiti - Economy : Nearly 70% of borlette tenants refuse to pay their royalties

Haiti - Croix-des-Bouquets : Opening of the maternity hospital Foyer Saint Camille

Haiti - Politic : President Moïse met a high-level delegation of the UN

Haiti - Social : Rationing of electricity, 2 dead and 5 wounded in Lascahobas


more news


Haiti - Weather : Beginning of the hurricane season, NOAA forecasts
01/06/2016 10:56:26

Haiti - Weather : Beginning of the hurricane season, NOAA forecasts
This Wednesday June 1, 2016 officially begins the hurricane season. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center says the 2016 Atlantic hurricane season, which runs from June 1 through November 30, will most likely be near-normal, but forecast uncertainty in the climate signals that influence the formation of Atlantic storms make predicting this season particularly difficult.

NOAA predicts a 70% likelihood of 10 to 16 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 4 to 8 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 1 to 4 major hurricanes (Category 3, 4 or 5; winds of 111 mph or higher). While a near-normal season is most likely with a 45% chance, there is also a 30% chance of an above-normal season and a 25% chance of a below-normal season.

"A near-normal prediction for this season suggests we could see more hurricane activity than we’ve seen in the last three years, which were below normal," said Gerry Bell, Ph.D., lead seasonal hurricane forecaster with NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center. Bell explained there is uncertainty about whether the high activity era of Atlantic hurricanes, which began in 1995, has ended. This high-activity era has been associated with an ocean temperature pattern called the warm phase of the Atlantic Multi-Decadal Oscillation or AMO, marked by warmer Atlantic Ocean temperatures and a stronger West African monsoon. However, during the last three years weaker hurricane seasons have been accompanied by a shift toward the cool AMO phase, marked by cooler Atlantic Ocean temperatures and a weaker West African monsoon. If this shift proves to be more than short-lived, it could usher in a low-activity era for Atlantic hurricanes, and this period may already have begun. High- and low-activity eras typically last 25 to 40 years.

In addition, El Niño is dissipating and NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center is forecasting a 70% chance that La Niña — which favors more hurricane activity — will be present during the peak months of hurricane season, August through October. However, current model predictions show uncertainty as to how strong La Niña and its impacts will be.
The names chosen for this year are : Alex,Bonnie, Colin, Danielle, Earl, Fiona, Gaston, Hermine, Igor, Julia, Karl, Lisa, Matthew, Nicole, Otto, Paula, Richard, Shary, Tomas, Virginie et Walter.

See also :
https://www.haitilibre.com/en/news-17445-haiti-weather-next-hurricane-season-far-from-reassuring.html

SL/ HaitiLibre

Twitter Facebook Rss
Send news to... Daily news...




Why HaitiLibre ? | Contact us | Français
Copyright © 2010 - 2019
Haitilibre.com