|Download the School calendar 2023-2024 (Official)|
Haiti - Politics : Roadmap of the Minister of Finance
Roadmap of the Minister of Economy and Finance (MEF) :
"[...] In implementing my Government's policy, I entrust you with the task of carrying out the necessary reforms to raise the economic and financial sector at all levels and to take the following actions :
- Work with stakeholders on public finance reform;
- Update and codify tax laws;
- Accelerate the implementation of fiscal policy and the reform of the Tax Administration (DGI) and Customs (AGD);
- Make better programming and management of public expenditure;
- Generalize the single account of the treasury to the Territorial Collectivities;
- Improve the efficiency and quality of public expenditure;
- Ensure the stability of the macroeconomic framework;
- Adopt the three-year Public Investment Planning Act (a pre-defined percentage of the Republic's budget devoted exclusively to the implementation of strategic projects);
- Establish a High Level Technical Unit to prepare a Project Bank covering the different areas of public policies with a view to reducing delays in the implementation of strategic projects likely to be presented to potential partners (local and International) wishing to associate themselves with the investment opportunities offered by the country;
- Streamline budgetary choices in order to better control the budget deficit;
- Ensure good governance and the financial equilibrium of pension funds, , insurance companies and institutions for the collection of social security contributions;
- Launch the operation of a "Large National Loan" for the financing of strategic projects;
- Strengthen the debt management system and establish a secondary market for public debt;
- Streamline and simplify the procedures of the institutional chain (Ministries, CNMP, CSCCA) involved in the implementation of the budget;
- Ensure better coordination of development aid programs with the institutions concerned;
- Set up an electronic platform for project and contract monitoring;
- Draw up, together with the Ministry of Trade and Industry and interested institutions, the Private Sector Development Strategy Paper;
- Put in place the incentive framework to support import-substitution industries and enterprises with a view to reducing the country's dependence of basic goods imported from abroad;
- Work with the ministries of the economic sector with a view to better coordination of economic policies and their implementation;
- Work to improve Haiti's performance in the World Bank's "Doing Business" rankings and the "World Economic Forum" competitiveness;
- Working with stakeholders to improve coordination and implementation of business climate reform;
- Finalize Draft Legislation of economic nature in study to MEF in order to submit them to Parliament;
- Work with the BRH to improve the harmonization of budgetary and monetary policies;
- Work with the Ministry of Trade and Industry to formalize the informal sector and to give legal status to entrepreneurs who are outside the regulations in force;
- Developing and make vote by Parliament the law reforming the Gambling and entrusting the State with the right of distribution of exploitation licenses to tenants of games of chance;
- Improve the productivity of public expenditure and increase fiscal transparency;
- Evaluate, contain, monitor and account for budgetary risks;
- Make better allocation of budgetary resources by giving priority to investments and controlling operating expenditure;
- Strengthen the planning and evaluation of public investment programs;
- Develop with stakeholders, including the Ministry of Commerce (MCI), Public Works (MTPTC) and National Education (MENFP), a national innovation policy and strategy for the next 5 years. This policy will define the role of digital and technological innovation in the modernization of the Haitian economy and will enable the country to become the regional leader in innovation and scientific research in the next 10 years.
- Establish a National Agency for Science, Technology and Innovation (ANSTI) made up of local and foreign experts responsible for defining and coordinating the implementation of the framework for the development of digital and innovation with the aim of improving the productivity of our economy and efficiency in public administration;
- Develop alternative financial tools for financing national development projects.
I ask you to start preparing the 2017-2018 Budget, which will have to be approved by the Council of Ministers, after arbitration by the Ministry of the Economy and Finance, and filed within the required legal timeframe in Parliament.
You will also have the task of increasing transparency, the fight against corruption and the good management of public property. It will be up to you to organize, direct and animate the services, teams and agents of the State placed under your responsibility.
Jack Guy Lafontant, Prime Minister"
See also :