Haiti - FLASH : Explosive situation in Pedernales, Haitians in fear
The warning was issued Monday by a "guagüita" (vehicle equipped with a speaker) who has traveled the main streets of Pedernales.
In addition, dozens of Dominicans demonstrated in front of the Office of the Prosecutor, demanding justice for these two murders while the alleged perpetrators are still at large.
The Mayor of Pedernales, Luis Manuel Feliz, who had already made the decision to close Monday the binational market for security reasons https://www.icihaiti.com/en/news-23790-icihaiti-flash-temporary-closure-of-the-pedernales-border-market.html , asked for the intervention of President Danilo Medina and Foreign Minister Miguel Vargas, fearing that the threat from the community would be put into effect and become a bloodbath.
Last minute :
On the same day, Foreign Minister Miguel Vargas Maldonado told the Dominican press, "To prevent violent incidents between Dominicans and Haitians, President Danilo Medina ordered the deployment of military troops to Pedernales" adding "the Government will not allow order and peace to be disturbed.
An elite military force of 60 men from the Dominican army and 30 anti-riot agents from the Dominican National Police (PND) were sent to Pedernales.
The Minister of Defense, General Rubén Darío Paulino Sem, said on Monday that the Specialized Corps of Border Border Security (CESFRONT) was also reinforced by the Dominican navy.
As for the national police, it is identifying and seeking to arrest all Dominicans who incite the population to take revenge on the Haitians.
See also :