Haiti - FLASH : Saturday night earthquake, 10 dead and 135 wounded
- The shock was felt across all departments of the country, creating a panic in several cities, according to the testimony of the teams of the Civil Protection.
- The earthquake caused the deaths of ten people - 7 in Port-de-Paix (North-West) and 3 in Gros Morne (Artibonite). At least 135 people are injured and taken care of in hospitals. Many houses are destroyed or damaged.
- Hospitals in the North West, Artibonite and North departments received and treated at least 135 wounded, including fractures and minor injuries.
- Civil Protection teams are at work across the country and especially in the North West where two slight aftershocks have been felt since. The Directorate of Civil Protection invites people to keep calm and not to rely on rumors.
- The earthquake did not require the launch of a tsunami warning.
Situation at the department level :
Gonaïves : Twenty wounded, About 5 cracked houses
Gros-Morne : 3 dead, 30 wounded, 15 homes destroyed, 10 homes damaged
Terre Neuve : 4 wounded, 8 homes destroyed
Cap-Haïtien : 14 victims in total: 2 cases of hysterical crisis, 9 slight injuries (panic), 10th injured (motorcycle accident) with a broken leg, 1 pregnant woman received in the emergency department (panic), 1 cardiovascular accident
Plaisance : Partial collapse of the facade of the Catholic Church, 4 minor injuries due to panic movements.
North West :
Entire department: 63 injured: 34 women, 2 teenage girls / women and 25 men, two teenage boys welcomed and treated at the Hospital Immaculate Conception and Beraca Hospital (La Pointe)
Partial balance of damage :
The assessment of the earthquake is 10 deaths - 7 in Port-de-Paix and 3 in Gros-Morne. The people died because of the collapse of buildings. At least 135 wounded were received and treated in hospitals that night.
Several buildings are destroyed or damaged, including cases of cracked houses. The most concerned departments are North West and Artibonite. Building evaluations will continue this Sunday.
No major damage has so far been reported with regard to road, port, airport, health, education, sports and telecommunication infrastructures, with the exception of a cultural center that collapsed in Gros-Morne in the Artibonite.
The Coordination, Information and Analysis and Public Information areas of the National Emergency Operations Center were partially activated during the night of October 6-7. Upon receipt of the first alert, the communication was initiated and maintained with the hierarchy of the National System of Risk and Disaster Management, as well as departmental coordination of risk management and disaster
Recherche et Sauvetage
Civil Protection teams are hard at work across the country and especially in the North West and Artibonite to help the population. Specialized teams are ready to conduct search and rescue operations if needed.
Hospitals in the North West, Artibonite and North departments received and treated 135 wounded, including broken bones and minor injuries.
Why HaitiLibre ? |
Contact us |
Copyright © 2010 - 2023