|Click to download the official draft of the new Constitution (September 2021)|
Haiti - Politic : Texts of the Resolution of the State of emergency and the 11 measures
Text of the Resolution :
Considering that the improvement of the living conditions of the population is one of the priorities of the President of the Republic
Considering that it is the State's duty to protect life and property and to ensure the general well-being of the population
Considering the difficulties encountered by a large majority of the population in meeting their economic and social needs because of the sudden and widespread rise in prices of basic necessities;
Considering the depreciation of the national currency which causes great economic, social and financial imbalances;
Considering the economic and financial imbalances aggravating unemployment and accentuating the situations of poverty for more and more important categories of the population;
Considering that all necessary measures must be taken to assist persons in difficult situations in the country;
Considering that it is necessary, indeed, to declare the economic emergency throughout the national territory with a view to enabling the State to better support the most vulnerable sections of the population;
Adopts the following resolution:
Article 1. - The economic emergency is declared throughout the territory of the Republic.
Article 2.- The economic emergency concerns all the measures required by the circumstances that will be taken in order to:
1) Help reduce the cost of basic necessities;
2) Increase access to credit for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs);
3) Take a preferential option for financing agriculture and the agricultural sector;
4) Revitalize economic activity;
5) Strengthen social programs.
Article 3.- Fiscal and customs exemptions are suspended until 30 September 2019 with the exception of those requested by diplomatic and consular missions, national and subcontracting industries, eligible institutions and organizations of a humanitarian nature, importing food supplies, goods, materials and equipment for the sectors of Education, Health and Agriculture.
Article 4.- This resolution shall be printed, published and executed at the behest of the Prime Minister and all Ministers, each in his respective capacity."
In addition, in order to clean up public finances and in application of the decree on the lifestyle of the State, published in "Le Moniteur" # 52 dated April 3, 2017, https://www.haitilibre.com/docs/Arrete-relatif-Train-de-vie-de-letat-5-avril-2017.pdf (of which most measures have never been implemented), the Government adopts the following 11 measures:
"1) Formal prohibition of purchase of new vehicles until September 30, 2019;
2) Prohibition of all leases of vehicles on behalf of public officials, unless authorized by the Prime Minister;
3) Formal prohibition to Ministers, Secretaries of State and Directors General to travel without the express authorization of the Prime Minister or the Minister supervising. If applicable, no delegation will be composed of more than five (5) members;
4) Reconsideration of the level and method of payment of the perdiem for trips abroad;
5) Compression of purchases of goods and services on behalf of the State;
6) Prohibition of movement for vehicles registered 'State Service' on weekends and holidays; working days beyond 7 PM in accordance with the State Lifestyle Regulation;
7) Reduction and harmonization of the salaries of the Directors General of the Autonomous Organizations;
8) 30% reduction in the fuel quota allocated to public officials;
9) Suspension of telephone recharge card purchases and exclusive recourse to prepaid plans for the benefit of public officials;
10) Prohibition of any form of subsidy, unless formally authorized by the Prime Minister;
11) Obligation of Ministers, Secretaries of State and Directors General to finalize their declaration of assets and their final declaration of taxes."
These measures, according to the Government, are aimed at "reinforcing the provisions previously taken with the scrupulous care to respond to the demands of the Haitian people, who are desirous of rationalizing the management of the public purse. " to be continued…
In addition to these measures, an "Economic and Financial Governance Pact" was signed on January 31 between the Ministry of Economy and Finance and the Bank of the Republic of Haiti (BRH) and the BRH on January 31, 2019, dealing with the management of the execution of public expenditure and means of payment of the oil bill. Text of the Pact : https://www.haitilibre.com/en/news-26844-haiti-flash-the-state-signs-a-new-pact-of-economic-governance-with-the-brh.html
See also :