Haiti - FLASH Canada : Avoid unnecessary travel in Haiti
Due to ongoing political instability. In addition, the country is experiencing water, food and fuel shortages. Many businesses and banks are closed, making it difficult to access cash and commodities of all kinds.
Burning barricades are disrupting traffic in the main streets of Port-au-Prince. Clashes between protestors and security forces have occurred. Police have used tear gas and live ammunition to disperse crowds.
-Additional protests are expected over the next few days. Acts of violence could happen without notice. Avoid all unnecessary travel to Haiti.
If you are in the country :
- Limit your movements
- Avoid crossing road blockades, even if they appear unattended
- Plan to have adequate water, food and fuel supplies
Please note that even peaceful demonstrations can turn violent at any time. They can also lead to disruptions to traffic and public transportation.
- Avoid areas where demonstrations and large gatherings are taking place
- Follow the instructions of local authorities
- Monitor local media for information on ongoing demonstrations
See also :