Haiti - FLASH : Overview of the Post-Covid Economic Recovery Plan
Monday January 11, 2021 at 11:00 am at the Bank of the Republic of Haiti (BRH), President Jovenel Moïse and Prime Minister Joseph Jouthe, accompanied by the Minister of Economy and Finance Michel Patrick Boivert, will make the presentation and the official launch of the Post-Covid Economic Recovery Plan (PREPOC) in the presence of the Ministers of the Government, the major State officials and the technical executives of the Civil Service.
The event will be broadcast live on TNH and RNH as well as on social media via Chokarella.
This 384-page strategic document aims to sustainably turn around the Haitian economy and create new jobs. It is a plan that plans to transform the economy by investing as a priority in the most promising areas, to reinvigorate economic growth and to put the country back on the path of development and social prosperity.
PREPOC is the result of participatory and inclusive work that involved the public sector, representatives of civil society, as well as private sector organizations. Its development benefited from technical support from Technical and Financial Development Partners and from the supervision of a team of national and international experts.It offers an articulated response to correct structural constraints in the face of multifaceted shocks across 6 areas concentration on which the Government should focus its efforts over the next three years.
List of 6 areas of concentration :
- Economic diversification and acceleration of growth focused on agriculture, industry, tourism and digital, from affordable housing, investment in the textile sector, digital acceleration and the opportunity creation project;
- Development of basic energy infrastructure services, based on a program to strengthen the metropolitan electricity network;
- Strengthening the security of the rule of law including: project to strengthen the military engineering corps; acquisition of equipment for the National Police of Haiti (PNH) and the Armed Forces of Haiti (FAd'H); strengthening of security structures;
- Support for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) and job creation, through support programs for MSMEs, investment in the textile sector, digital acceleration and a business creation project opportunities;
- Development of human capital and special inclusion; (social safety net; access to primary health care, project for quality education for all.
- Strengthening resilience to natural shocks around a set of projects such as: Cap-Haitien urban development project; management of a ravine / stream in Port-au-Prince (Bois de Chêne), Pétion-Ville Galette Millet, in Cap-Haitien (upper water basin), in Les Cayes (Chateaudun river).
Areas of support envisaged :
- Strengthening administrative governance
- Strengthening economic and financial governance and macroeconomic stability,
- Improvement of the business circuit and the competitiveness of the economy
After the ceremony, there will be speeches by the Prime Minister and the Minister of Economy and Finance followed by a press briefing.
To be continued...
See also :