Haiti - Irene : Last assessment, extensive damage, all the details
In the department of Northwest and Northeast, over 100 houses were damaged. A thousand people were placed in temporary shelters. Sections of roads are cut in various areas while several rivers are in flood. Teams from the Ministry of Public Works, Transportation and Communications (TPTC) are at work across the country.
Damage recorded :
Department of the Nord :
- Fields were devastated at the level of Plaisance;
- The road section Plaisance - Pilate is damaged;
- The Trois Rivières (northern slope of the chain of Plaisance) are flooding to Plaisance and have devastated fields under cultivation.
Department Northwest :
- Two people died, washed away in a ravine, to Mahotière, 7th communal section of Port-de-Paix;
- Anse-à-Foleur, two people were injured, following the collapse of a wall of a house, under the effect of the waves. They were evacuated to the hospital La Pointe, to Saint-Louis du Nord;
- Several homes were damaged by a landslide to Desgranges, third communal section;
- Houses are affected by the rising waves in Saint- Louis du Nord;
- To Anse-à-Foleur, 52 homes were affected by the rise of the sea;
- In the fourth section La montagne, to Jean Rabel, the roofs of 14 houses were swept away by the wind.
- On Turtle Island and Bassin-Bleu, high winds blew and caused falling of trees. The road is cut on Bassin-Bleu;
Department Northeast :
- Landslides were reported in Mont-Organisé and Vallières, where roads are cut;
- The municipality of Mont Organisé recorded crop losses as a result of strong winds that blew in the night of August 22, 2011;
- The road between Gens-de-Nantes ant Mont-Organisé is blocked due to landslides;
- It is reported several cases of livestock losses;
- To Capotille, 20 houses are damaged (roofs blown away). Huge losses in crops are also recorded;
- To Mombin-Crochu, strong winds caused crop losses. Two ivers are in flood;
- To Ouanaminthe, four rivers are in flood (Massacre, rivière Canarie, Djassa). Gardens are devastated;
- To Ferrier, 85 families are homeless;
- To Vallières, the road is cut and the river in flood.
Nippes Department :
- To Petite Rivière de Nippes, the wall of a school, located on the coast, was damaged by the waves on the night of August 23;
- On the hills of Vassal, winds of the night of August 23 have devastated the banana plantations;
- To Paillant, the heavy rain, accompanied by gusts affected the plantations of beans in bloom and toppled banana to Salagnac;
- To Miragoâne, a resurgence of cholera cases was reported mainly to Berquin.
West Department :
- 31 homes flooded in Petit-Goâve;
- An early flood was observed in Cité Soleil;
- In the town of Croix-des-Bouquets, floods were recorded in Corail 5, 6
The TPTC has conducted numerous interventions in the affected areas :
See also :