Haiti - Agriculture : The 2013-2014 agricultural year promises to be good - HaitiLibre.com : Haiti news 7/7





iciHaiti - Contraband : 1,380,000 cigarettes from Haiti seized in the DR

iciHaiti - FLASH : Mexico excellence scholarships, registrations open

iciHaiti - Politic : James Monazard new Minister of Commerce and also Tourism

iciHaiti - Diaspora : Day of solidarity for better integration of compatriots in Curaçao

iciHaiti - Politic : The PM meets the families of the three UTAG police officers killed


more news


Haiti - Politic : The Minister for the Status of Women wants to transform and rename her Ministry

Haiti - Heritage : Monitoring the theft of two culverins at the Citadelle Henry

Haiti - Politic : Installation of the new Minister of Economy and Finance

Haiti - News : Zapping...

Haiti - USA : 3 senators ask to accelerate the process of legal adoption of orphaned Haitian children


more news


Haiti - Agriculture : The 2013-2014 agricultural year promises to be good
01/12/2013 10:50:51

Haiti - Agriculture : The 2013-2014 agricultural year promises to be good
According to the National Coordination of Food Security (CNSA), in general, the agricultural year which began in March 2013 and will end in February 2014 promises to be a good year of production with already an increase of 45% of cereals compared to the previous crop year if harvests of summer/winter enjoy the same favorable climatic conditions observed until the end of September 2013 (no drought, no excess water, no cyclones or floods accentuated), the basic inputs are available.

For cons, the fiscal year (October 2012-September 2013) was completed with good productions correcting the losses observed in October 2012 after the passage of Sandy.

The evolution of production 2013-2014 in cereal equivalent, indicating an increase of 33% over 2012-2013 but below 11% of the year 2009-2010 [which was a very good year].

Production 2013-2014 :
Total Cereal + 46% (350.348 tonnes) Total Pulses + 13% (175.945 tonnes) Total tubers +27% (369.876 tonnes) total Bananas and plantain +40% (105.677 tonnes) for an average of +33% ( 1millions , 485.700 tonnes) [the calculation of these estimates is based on the coefficient "Ton Equivalent Cereal" (TEC)].

Overall, considering the surface of ​​maize, beans, pigeon peas, bananas and tubers, about 75% of the agricultural area, usually dedicated to the spring season, delivered a good production in spring and summer. Programs for local purchases established by the Ede Pèp program, WFP, private enterprise Ti-Malice encouraged producers to invest more.

The Ministry of Agriculture, the Ministry for the Promotion of the peasantry and the various partners (FAO, Winner, ACDI-VOCA, IICA, RESEPAG, other programs, etc..) have put at the disposal of producers a volume of seed at planting. Several seed fairs were held. However, seeds are insufficient to meet the expectations of producers whose stock was low due to the drought of 2012 and the damage caused by the passage of Isaac and Sandy. Producers have be obliged to complete the inputs according to their purchasing power, sourcing market. The fertilizer was reached between 800 and 900 gourdes per 45 kg bag.

Limiting factors of the spring 2013 season are structural: the poor performance of the plant material, the low fertility of much of degraded soils, low resources of the producer to complete the grants received from MARNDR and its partners , low labor productivity.

CNSA states that these estimates for the 2013-2014 year were made by assuming that the summer and autumn-winter enjoy favorable production conditions, without heavy losses.

HL/ HaitiLibre

Twitter Facebook Rss
Send news to... Daily news...




Why HaitiLibre ? | Contact us | Français
Copyright © 2010 - 2024
Haitilibre.com