Haiti - FLASH : Big roadmap for the Minister of Agriculture
Roadmap of the Minister of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Rural Development (MARNDR) :
"[...] Mr. Minister, in the implementation of my Government's policy, I entrust you with the task of carrying out the necessary reforms to modernize Haitian agriculture at all levels. I ask you to take steps to develop infrastructure by controlling surface water. Specifically, it is necessary to :
- Improve water control conditions by rehabilitating existing hydro-agricultural infrastructure;
- Makes additional Hydro-agricultural development for irrigation and drainage of new land under satisfactory water control conditions;
- Set up water storage structures;
- Improve agricultural tracks in production areas;
- Ensure agricultural information;
- Install impluviums in areas where they are needed;
- Build concrete dams to replace traditional failing dams;
- Install water pumping stations for areas of high agricultural potential and located above the level of rivers;
- Regularly clean up irrigation rivers and canals;
- Strengthen basic agricultural infrastructure in rural areas;
- Investing in rural road construction
- Build and distribute bridges and agricultural roads to facilitate the transport of products in markets and areas of consumption.
The development of the fisheries and aquaculture sectors will help to recapitalize the rural world. In this perspective, you must :
- Work with the relevant agencies to provide credit in rural areas;
- Develop, together with the competent bodies, the necessary infrastructure for the production and marketing of agricultural products on local, regional, national and international markets;
- Working with the competent bodies to make the agricultural producer self-sufficient in financial terms;
- Develop food aquaculture in areas with high aquaculture potential;
- Work with the competent bodies to promote the landing of fishery products on the national territory;
- Develop inland fisheries in favorable hydro-geographical areas;
- Strengthen the technical and managerial capacities of fishermen's associations;
- Ensure the sustainable management of fisheries, aquaculture and the viability of the fishery;
- Improve and modernize the conditions for the artisanal fishery;
- Assist associations of professionals to better conserve and dispose of fisheries and aquaculture products;
- Promote industrial fishing for the national and international market.
The development of agri-food sectors is a priority objective. In this regard, the Government requests you to work with the relevant bodies to :
- Facilitate the development of agro-export zones.
- Have a guarantee fund for the high-end fruit and vegetable sector;
- Launch a program of financial and banking seminars related to the fruit and vegetable sector;
- Formalize the traceability capacities of agricultural products, especially fruits and vegetables;
- Establishing a Co-Marketing Agency for Exotic Fruits and Vegetables
- Produce a plan to repair key roads;
- Improve the efficiency of port operations and installations for perishable foods;
- Encourage companies in the fruit and vegetable sector to improve their packaging techniques to better respond to the demands of the national and world markets;
- Encourage the development of agricultural product processing SMEs and fishing;
- Encourage and assist students to invest in agricultural farms and agricultural processing enterprises;
- Help improve traditional SMEs (guilds, mills);
- Encourage SMEs specialized in animal sectors.
Mr. Minister, it is recommended that you work with the competent bodies in order to :
- Facilitate the marketing and securing of agricultural products;
- Ensure compliance with phytosanitary standards;
- Putting commercial information on the domestic and international market within the reach of producers;
- Improve and standardize products to better position themselves on the international market;
- Develop standards for the products;
- Ensure the safety of food products;
- Developing agricultural entrepreneurship.
As part of the implementation of the government's proactive policies, you must take steps to increase the capacity of export-oriented agricultural sectors and ensure the entry of foreign currency into the country. You must :
- Support efforts to modernize the fruit and vegetable sector.
- Define a reference framework for priority sectors while maintaining agricultural objectives: "feed the population and export".
- Negotiate markets and find niches for agricultural and agri-food products.
- Inform and train professionals on international food safety standards.
- Negotiate and obtain international agreements favorable to exporters of domestic agricultural and agri-food products.
The agro-business program launched under the Martelly administration should be extended to extend access to credit and support for the establishment and management of agricultural enterprises. It is necessary that :
- Reactivate all middle schools of agriculture in the country;
- Supporting agronomic research and training centers with research capacity;
- Reforming agricultural education and training and continuously adapting program content, training methods and formules to the diversity and changing needs of managers in the agricultural sector;
Promote and present a better image of the agricultural professions;
- Establish, in a public-private partnership approach, parks of equipment adapted to the subsidized tariff in support of the development of farmers' projects;
- Integrate the development of rural roads into the agricultural infrastructure development plan as a priority for the sector;
- Support interprofessional structures with a view to their progressive appropriation of activities linked to the development of agricultural sectors;
- Revise the legal and institutional framework for sectors upstream and downstream of agricultural sectors.
- Establish an independent agency for agricultural health;
- Strengthen the financing system of the agricultural sector by pooling the skills of cooperatives and credit institutions for farmers ;
- Establish an appropriate insurance system for the agricultural sector in partnership with the private sector;
- Establish a social protection policy (health insurance and pension) for farmers.
- Promote bio-factories in order to equip agricultural space with a capacity for the production of natural fertilizers and pesticides.
I ask you to start preparing the 2017-2018 budget, which will have to be approved by the Council of Ministers, after arbitration by the Ministry of the Economy and Finance, and filed within the required legal timeframe in Parliament.
You will also have the task of increasing transparency, the fight against corruption and the good management of public property. It will be up to you to organize, direct and animate the services, teams and agents of the State placed under your responsibility.
Jack Guy Lafontant, Prime Minister."
See also :
Why HaitiLibre ? |
Contact us |
Copyright © 2010 - 2023