|Download the School calendar 2023-2024 (Official)|
Haiti - FLASH : The Dominican Government announces measures and issues an ultimatum to Haiti (Canal river Massacre)
Measures taken by the National Security Council:
1. Permanently suspend the entry of all persons involved in the conflict and suspend the issuance of visas to Haitian citizens until further notice.
2. Maintain the total border closure through Dajabón and, if the conflict is not resolved before Thursday, completely close the border for land, sea and air commerce.
3. Relaunch the capture of the Massacre River, at the start of the La Vigia Canal, as a short-term measure to ensure water supply to Dominican producers.
4. Begin the construction process of the Don Miguel Dam project as a definitive long-term solution. The design of this project began last year and construction is expected to take around 30 months, at a cost of around 2.7 billion pesos. The call for tenders begins immediately.
5. Request a bilateral meeting of the binational hydrological table to agree on a definitive solution.
Creole version :
1. Fèmen defenitivman tout moun ki patisipe nan konflit la nan antre nan peyi a e sispann emitasyon viza pou sitwayen ayisyen jiska nouvo avi.
2. Kenbe fwontyè Dajabon an tèt dwat nan kou, e si konflit la pa rezoudan avan jedi, fèmen fwontyè a totalman pou kòmès tè, lanmè, ak avyon ak nan mouvman moun.
3. Ranvwaye Touma Aduana nan rivyè masak nan debyaman kanal La Vigía kòm yon mezi ki kout tan pou asire apwochman dlo pou moun ki prodwi nan peyi Dominikèn.
4. Kòmanse pwosesis konstriksyon Pwojè Baryè Don Miguel la kòm yon solisyon defenitif nan long tèm. Konsepsyon pou sa a te kòmanse a nan ane pase epi li estime konstriksyon an pral pran apeprè 30 mwa pou yon kòt total nan apeprè RD$ 2,700 milyon pè. Bidjè a pral lanse imedyatman.
5. Mandeye yon rankont bilatiral nan tablo lò dlo ant peyi yo pou dakò sou yon solisyon defenitif.
President Luis Abinader declared during a press meeting that the objective of the Dominican Government with the announced measures is to safeguard national security in the face of the socio-political crisis that Haiti is going through and the construction of a diversion canal of the Massacre River.
Abinader stressed that he is aware that the construction of this canal is not a project of the Haitian Government and that he does not have its authorization, while indicating that in his opinion it is a construction informal which has no known construction companies involved adding "We cannot allow uncontrollable people in a country to do what they want. If they are out of control there, we must control them from here !"
Concerning the construction of dams on the Altibonite rivers (main river that supplies Haiti) and San Miguel, in the upper part of the Massacre river, the President was categorical in indicating that these dams will be built "We do not want to get to that point, the ideal is that dialogue begins and these dams are built within the framework of a bilateral agreement and that in this way the water is distributed through the corresponding channels, but we would have no other alternative that building dams on Haiti's main river Artibonite is the definitive solution" [if bilateral negotiations fail] Abinader declared. https://www.haitilibre.com/en/news-33854-haiti-flash-president-abinader-announces-the-construction-of-a-dam-on-the-artibonite-river-in-dominican-soil.html
Regarding the possible closure of the border starting next Thursday, Abinader said he has instructed the Ministry of the Presidency to see how Dominican perishable products can be purchased by the Price Stabilization Institute and inserted into the social aid granted by the government.
Concerning the economic impact that the possible complete closure of the border would represent, he said he understood that "it will be difficult" but that national security comes first. He added that he had instructed the Ministry of the Presidency to see how perishable Dominican products can be purchased by the Price Stabilization Institute and included in the social assistance granted by the Government.
Monday, due to the conflict and growing tensions after the resumption in Haiti of the construction of a diversion canal from the Massacre River for irrigation purposes, a significant flow of Haitians and their families could be observed in the border zone leaving Dominican territory to return to Haiti fearing being mistreated due to the current conflict between the two Nations of the island...
Due to the closure of the border, Haitians are stranded for several hours, but the soldiers of the Specialized Land Border Security Corps (CESFRONT) allow them to cross the international bridge to enter their country.
Also read about the Haiti Irrigation Canal affair :
Also read about the construction of a dam on the Artibonite:
SL/ TB/ HaitiLibre